Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hitting the gym...

One week ago tomorrow, I decided to work on getting active again and lose a few pounds.  I joined a gym and have gone 6 out of the last 7 days.  It feels good to be active again.  I feel better already and am enjoying the daily routine of getting to the gym, lifting, running, and getting back to life.  Other than my "lose 5 pounds this month" goal, I'd like to get myself in shape enough to run a 5K this summer, so after another couple weeks I'll see where I'm at and start looking for one to do.  It's incredibly hot in the summer here, but I'm sure I'll be able to find one.

So far my workout routine consists of warming up on the treadmill, stretching, lifting, then finishing with running or biking.  I'm doing three days of upper body lifting (chest/triceps, biceps/back, shoulders) and then a day of lower body.  After I shed some pounds, I'll start throwing in some more ab stuff as well.

My overall goal is to get to between 175-180 pounds and feel healthier and have more energy.  Some days it has been tough to get out of bed and I think it's because I haven't been active and been stressed.  I'm not planning on going crazy and going to the gym every single day, but I want to at least be active everyday.  I haven't played disc golf as much as I would like, so that will be an option for getting outside.  Also, Jen and I have both been taking walks at lunch, which is beneficial on not just the physical level, but also gets me out of the office for a few minutes every day. 

I've never run a 5K, but in high school they always wanted me to do cross country and thought I'd be able to run a good time.  For my first one, depending on when it is, I want to run under 25 minutes, which is around 8 minutes a mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment