Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gamecock Weekend

Moving to South Carolina was not just change in my career, it was a change in my way of life...and by life, I mean how I look at sports.  Back home, sports culture consisted of Big Ten football and basketball, NFC North football, and maybe some Tigers baseball sprinkled in...if they were good.  By moving down here, I walked into the heart of the SEC.  Talk about a culture shock.  We have rivals back home...but down here, it's legitimate hatred between schools and fans.  Only thing that I can compare it to is my hatred of USC...I mean...Southern Cal (sorry Jen!). Let's just say that if I had any Clemson orange on this blog...I'd lose a few readers.

The University of South Carolina baseball stadium (Carolina Stadium) on a beautiful day on February 18, 2011

For my first Southern sports experience, Jen took me to spend the weekend in Columbia, SC for opening weekend of college baseball season.  Back home I'd gone to a few games to watch a friend, Zach Gentile, play for Western's team and there would be a few hundred people in the stands. Down here, there were over 8,000 to watch South Carolina play Santa Clara.  It felt like a Western home football game.

South Carolina won the college baseball World Series last year and is ranked in the top 5 this year so I picked a good time to start dating a die hard Gamecock fan :).  I was impressed at the level of play, the support from the fans, and especially the stadium and facilities.  They take this stuff seriously in the south.

We tailgated with Jen's crew and  I got all of the introductions, subsequent threats on my life, and advice that it is in my best interest to take care of Jen.  Definitely a group of good people and I'm looking forward to spending some more quality tailgate time with them.  Their tailgate spot is a row of 10 parking spaces right across the street from the stadium (which they rent out every year), which is a prime location with a great view of the stadium and also the perfect spot to catch opposing fans walking in and do a bit of heckling.  They had the grill out and cooked some awesome brats and had a great spread of food.  I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my Saturday.

Jen dancing with Bryce to "Baby Got Back"
 
Jen watching the game.  This may be my new favorite picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment